Re: [pyrnet] anxiety question

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>In the past year she has also developed the fear of thunder many have
>discussed recently.   Could these be related?  Is this something I should
>be
>discussing with my vet or could this be a behavior problem?

I would think it could be related, Deb, but I'd discuss it with a vet
anyway just to rule out any possible physical causes. Our Ivy Rose
developed a fear of thunder as an adult, and can get quite frantic. Once
when we were out she managed to turn Tori's crate round a full 90
degrees--with Tori in it! And Tori's weighs over 90 lbs compared to Ivy's
70 or so!
We have had some success giving Ivy a melatonin before the storm actually
starts--it's a natural product, not a chemical, and seems to have a
calming effect on her. But given the severity of your girl's reaction and
that it seems to have started suddenly, I'd have a vet check her.
Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose and Tori