Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 10:47 AM
Subject: [pyrnet] Porcupine advice please

Hi Everyone,

My one year old male Pyr just had his first (and dare I hope, last) close encounter of the painful kind with a porcupine.

I pulled out all the quills that I could see (mouth, chest, foot) and apart from being sore he seems fine.  However I can feel a number of unreachable quills embedded under the skin in his chest area.

I've heard two schools of thought from various sources.  First: leave the quills alone and they will eventually work themselves out.  Second: Leave the quills alone and they will burrow themselves deeper into his body, eventually reaching his heart/brain/lungs and could kill him.

Being a foreigner (where I come from we only have hedgehogs) I'm not very au-fait with porcupines. Any one else have experiences of this happening and any advice to offer?

Thanks,
Mary.

Mary Delmage
RR#3