[pyrnet] stock killing

Hi all,

Once again, I'm looking for some advice from the list.

Any suggestions on how to stop so called guardian dogs (yes my lovely pyrs) from killing the stock they are meant to be guarding? We got some new rather skittish chickens and today one got itself killed.  I didn't see which of the dogs was the perpetrator, but they all got scolded.  Considering that I barf them (often with raw chicken) I'm concerned that they now realise those silly fluttery things are food and will barf themselves in the most biologically appropriate but socially inappropriate way.  They didn't eat it but drew blood so I'm afraid they got the taste.

The dogs have been raised with small animals and have free access to them, with no problems before.

And the latest update around the porcupine quills - right after I sent the letter about how I was going to take a conservative approach we took the dogs for a "lovely" walk in the forest and they got tangled up with a baby porcupine.  Both mother and son (dad was wiser) had a forest of tiny quills in their mouths so off to the vet again: two anaesthetics to remove quills later my purse is $400 lighter.

They are not in my good books right now!

I would really appreciate any insights, suggestions etc into the chicken chasing.

Thanks,

Mary.

Mary Delmage
RR#3