Re: [pyrnet] Getting a Pyr to Eat

A lot of factors contribute to worm infestation in the soil. Type
of soil, type of climate, control of worms in animals as well as
all the livestock and wildlife. Best control I know of for
gaining and keeping control of tapeworm is chickens. We had a
horrible flea infestation. Got a few hens and never had another
problem. Takes only one tapeworm infected flea, ingested by a dog
or cat, to cause tapeworm infestation in same. And yes, people
can get tapeworm too. Don't know if lime would help with the
worms in the soil or not, but agricultural lime is toxic to dogs
and cats and probably livestock as well. You have to lime an area
right before it rains so that is gets washed into the ground, and
all animals should be kept off the area limed until this has
occurred. Chickens are easier! And you get all those lovely fresh
eggs every day. Chickes cut down on the amount of ticks as well.
Wonderful insect control, IMO. Environmentally friendly as well.
Fertilizer produced by chickens is the best there is, but it has
to "cure" for a year before used as it is too "hot" and will burn
plants. Downside is that it stinks to high heaven in the summer
while it is "curing"! Our chickens were more or less free range
so we did not have the problem of fertilizer "build up". But
then, we had a half dozen hens on a 90' by 100' or so suburban
lot. The only time the neighbors got upset was when we ended up
with a rooster by mistake. Of course, each neighbor got their
share of fresh eggs. <G>

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com