[pyrnet] CHAT: Mushrooms

What does anybody know about mushrooms?  I am finding them all over the
yard all of a sudden.  I've never seen this many.  I spent 1/2 hour pulling
them up two days ago and again today before I felt comfortable letting the
dogs into the yard.  After Anais was so sick a couple of months ago and a
mushroom was one of the suspected causes, I'm very wary of them.  I found a
mushroom website yesterday that said that most of the small button-like
mushrooms like I'm seeing in the lawn are safe but some are poisonous and
only an expert can tell them apart.  It also said that any mushroom that
looked like a parasol and had ribs (?) underneath should be avoided because
some that look like that are very poisonous.  You can even get sick from
touching some without even eating them and some are poisonous to dogs that
are OK for people.  The poisonous ones can destroy the liver and kidneys.

I'm noticing that I haven't seen any near the pine trees.  This makes me
wonder if there is something in the soil or something that keeps them away.
Does anyone know if there is anything you can treat the yard with to
discourage them?

--- Stephanie, Ciaran, Anais & Maggie
--- srwhitney1@earthlink.net