Re: [pyrnet] Re: Stockguard: My(Sissy's) anwser

I don't get much chance to post to the list during the school year but ...hooray!
summer is here!  So, on this question, I do think that sometimes the "top dog"
role does change, particularly as the dogs get older.  However, the girls are
usually top dog around here.  Adolescent males can be a real pain and very
bothersome for weeks and weeks before the girls come into season and the girls
have to tell them what's what. So, just because he is a pest does not necessarily
mean that he is trying to be top dog.  I don't ever recall a male-female fight
that was more than a lot of noise. She may be just trying to tell him to leave
her alone.  Usually males and females get along just great. I would  leave them
to work it out.
    About responsible breeders of livestock and/or dogs.  Those people that I
know that are very careful about breeding dogs are generally very careful about
their other livestock as well, i.e. if they take the time to find out what health
problems and good and bad traits are behind their dogs before breeding them they
generally do the same with their sheep, goats, horses etc.  I have taken back 6
and 7 year old dogs that I sold as pups because the owners got divorced and could
no longer keep the dog. One of them turned out to be a great livestock guardian
dog even though he had only been a house pet.  I have a friend that always takes
back her donkeys, sheep, goats, etc. if people can't keep them.
Charlotte Perry
Virginia