Re: [pyrnet] Black Pyrenees, White Newf...

In a message dated 7/8/02 7:05:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rhonda@castlepublishing.com writes:

Rhonda here

Technically speaking (genetically that is) the Pyrenees IS a black dog. They
are a black dog with a huge white spot. However, they are not born black.
<G>

Barb Bowes

Okay, Barb...I'm not sure I understand THAT one! 'Splain it to me, Lucy.

Rhonda

There is a position that says that Pyrs are the result of the color gene(s) causing fading from black, etc  to white.  Not sure this is good information.   I have never been convinced this was ever anything more than intellectual babble.  This fading may be true of some other breeds that carry white and other colors, but not sure this follows in the Pyr or the other Great White Mountain Guardians.  Not sure it also follows with the Samoyed, etc. as well.  Color genetics is not an area I claim very much study or knowledge, but I have looked carefully at this theory of the colored gene(s) being technically a colored gene that is genetically faded to white.  I have always been left with the feeling that while this surely occurs in the world of dogs, this might not be the case with Pyrs.  Pyrs are a white dog with some color patches, but it is a white dog.  The term Blaireau denotes a color other than white that the hair is colored on the distal end, but fades to white as it enters the skin.  Check it out.  White at the skin.  Never black.  Black is not allowed anywhere but grey, brown, tan, lemon, and rust is sometimes seen.  Black would be a good indication of cross breeding.  If the genetics of color are technically a black dog faded to white, the same would be true for other breeds like the Kusvaz, Akbash, etc.  Darrell is probably right, the black could be from a cross bred and the Anatolian is a good candidate.  The Anatolian is an amalgamation of several Turkish breeds itself.  It is known that the Akbash and Kangal dogs played a role in this amalgamation, but others could as well.  Many of our rescues, farm bred, BYB Pyrs, and others are cross bred.  Right now to my knowledge there is not definitive way to determine this except for the phenotypical appearance.  Black is a strong and certain indicator of cross breeding.  One of the strongest, IMHO.

Joe