Re: [pyrnet] Black Pyrenees, White Newf...

In a message dated 7/8/02 8:40:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lmweisser@attbi.com writes:

Is it only "black" to the skin or could/would we fault any color to the
skin?  I ask because I believe that not all hair turns white at the time it
enters the body/skin.  the only dogs I have ever had with what could even
moderately be considered "black" are very heavily marked dogs, often dark
grey, where the very tip ends of the hair were black.  Also those heavily
marked dogs often seem to have black markings at birth.  the fading starts
pretty quickly.

Linda

Not sure really.  I have always believed all colors.  In the dogs I have checked I found the white at the skin always, but I don't check all my dogs like this.  When you read about the remapant cross breeding int he late 1800's and early 1900's in the Pyrenees Mountains and the use use other breeds and cross breeds for same or the Pyr being used to "recover" a breed like the St Bernard you have to be concerned about these colors.    I have actually become uncomfortable of the rust or red, especially that we see that could have come from the St Bernard.  Facial harir is harder to see, but when I look closely I find white right at the skin.  Never looked at puppies, but guess I will going forward.  I will have to plead total ignorance about other breeds that are not related to the Pyr.

In puppies where does dark gray stop and black begin?

Joe

Joe