RE: [pyrnet] Black Pyrenees, White Newf...

Hi, from my limited knowledge of colour genetics,  I would say that she came
from a sire/mare who had a dominant or homozygous form of the black/brown
gene. Most colour genes are dominant.

In breeding for colour, it is a 50/50 crap shoot. One can push their odds in
their favour by breeding certain coat patterns/colours together....but if
the gene is present, say from a grandsire, it can come out down the line. I
know there is a study to produce "color testing" to help breeders vastly
improve their odds....especially for those interested in breeding Appy's,
Palominos, buckskins etc. Which up until know has proven "unrepeatable" from
generation to generation.

Alot is not yet fully understood about the genetic base of the Appaloosa's
diverse coat pattern.

In the case of a Frame Overo (White markings usually confined to the head
and the sides of the body) they actually say that they should ONLY be bred
to a solid colour mate. To reduce the chances of a "lethal white foal" (They
lack nerve cells in their intestinal tract and die soon after birth.) The
offspring of this mating can be registered as well.

If the Stallion/mare of your friends horse were registered Appy's OR even
1/2 Appy 1/2 quarter horse,(unlike dogs, you can register half breed horses
(in some breeds) as long as both parents are registered) then the foal could
be registered an Appaloosa. Same goes for Paint's. I had a registered solid
colour paint mare, when I was a kid.....who came from two Tobiano parents!
Oh how I waited for my "painted baby" to be born! Go figure! But I loved her
more than anything...

Sariena