Re: [pyrnet] Markings and pigment

In a message dated 7/9/02 8:04:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lmweisser@attbi.com writes:

But they often have the *most* extraordinary
pigment.  I have seen Kuvasz with totally grey skin. Which is, of course,
accompanied by black, black nose, lips, palate, ey rims.  Speculation about
why is interesting.  I have sometimes wondered if that is because they
always select for that pigment.  We have this little lazy out of marked dogs
who usually have good pigment.  What would happen if all we had were white
dogs and the standard called for black pigment?

Yes, this is one of my points.  These essentially all white breeds, that may be related to Pyrs have extrodinary color and seemingly not related to some of these other things we think important.  I am not sure anymore if the genetics of the two types of color are really related or we just think they are.  I have seen breedings with marked dogs on both sides and crappy color on noses, eyes, lips, etc.  I have suspected for some time we are dealing with differrent genetics in these two areas, just a suspicion as I don't think anyone has really done a controlled study or inventory with good identification parameters.  Might make an interesting study.

Joe