[pyrnet] Fw: [va-r-l] SURVEY: Rescuer info wanted

Hi Everybody,

One of the problems we have in fighting SB 260 is that almost
nobody except rescuers knows what home rescue really is -- where
it's done, how many animals are involved, and so on.   The 'other
side' has succeeded in writing a law calling us 'agencies' without the
average legislator having a clue that these agencies are in our
kitchen and living room and *you* are their entire staff!

We need FACTS to fix that misunderstanding.   About a week ago
we posted a survey asking for rescuers to give us some basic facts
about their 'operations.'   We have some answers but not nearly as
many as we need.   You can answer the seven questions below in
about three minutes.

Answer for *your personal* rescue activities (your own
home) -- not for your group.   But you may send *separate*
answers if you wish, for other group members or rescuers you
know who might not answer for themselves.

Please answer by off-list reply to whippets@timbreblue.com.   Be
sure 'survey' is in your subject line.   Don't work too hard on this;
most questions just need one word or number and if you can't
answer one or two, just estimate or leave it blank.

*We will only use averages of the data we get and possibly selected
comments from the final question -- no identifying information will
be used or given out.*

Please forward to other lists.    And THANKS!  You're helping us
RESCIND NOT AMEND SB 260!

Sharyn and Walt Hutchens

1.  What breed(s) or species do you rescue?

2.  About how many years experience do you have with this
breed/species?   Count *all* experience -- pet ownership,
experience breeding, showing, training, rescuing, etc.

3.  In an average year, how many total rescues do you take in?
(Don't consider any changes you're planning because of SB 260.)

4.  In an average year what's the greatest number you'd expect to
have in your home at the same time?   Do not count any animals you own.

5.  Considering all money that comes in (adoption fees, donations,
fundraising, support from organizations) and all cash expenses (fees
at shelters, food, vet care, gas, phone, etc.) how much do you think
you *lose* on an average animal?   For example if you take in $300
for an average animal but your costs are $400, then you lose an
average of $100.

6.  How many shelters do you have good relations with?   And how
many others never or generally won't work with you?

7.  Any other comments you'd like to make -- particularly would
like to hear if you do any unusual type of rescue work.

Walt Hutchens
Fight Virginia's 'Bathroom Walls' law!
www.no-sb-260.com