Re: [pyrnet] Hot Spots

Sulfodene keeps the area moist and can actually make it worse. I've known
people that have used it and ended up at the Vet with the dog put on
antibiotics to clear up the secondary bacterial caused by it not healing.
Hot spot is a generic term for moist dermatitis, anything like Sulfodene
that keeps it moist often makes it worse. The reason my Vet recommends
alcohol is that it kills any secondary bacteria and does not let a secondary
infection develop. Plus it has drying properties. If I catch a hot spot
early, between the oral Benadryl to keep them from itching, and the alcohol,
it is usually dried up and pretty much healed in 3 days. I never had any
luck using Gold Bond, but others have. As far as using peroxide, the new
studies (don't know where these studies are, but my father's Dr. has told me
about them, they have found that peroxide does actually damage healthy
tissue and is no longer recommended for use.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs)
& Flopsy (Pyrenean Shepherd)
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!"
bamb@monmouth.com