[pyrnet] Pet stores/outcome?

Does anyone have a real live honest answer (with proof!) on what happens to any breed of dog that is for sale in a puppy store and does not sell?
I'm sure we have all heard rumors ( sold for medical experiments, given away to employees, sent to the pound, returned to (ha) breeder) - but anyone know the truth?
I am sure the "truth" varies with different stores, but national chains would most likely have the same policy. I have always wondered, and asking a pet store gets nowhere.
Linda