[pyrnet] Paranoid Pyrenees (Long)

Hi all, I usually lurk more than I reply and post, but I was hoping some
of you could help me out with a problem regarding my Pyr/Maremma cross.
Juma is 3 years old and of late has taken to being totally panicked when
she's left alone outside.  We have left her outside during the day from
the time she was 5 months old.  She currently has 2 fenced acres to run
around and regular access to our screened porch (where she likes to lay
on the cold cement floor).

She has gotten into a routine where she will wait until my husband Rob
and I have left for the day, then will get out of the fencing and trek
1.5 miles down our private easement to our friend's house.  Our friend
has a key to our house, so she loads Juma in her truck, drives her home,
and puts her inside for the rest of the day.  Juma has been persistent
about getting out; we've thwarted her attempts at four different dig
spots, but she continues to try to escape at these spots.  We have a 2x4
buried along the base of the gate, we've put in an electric fence along
the north and west sides of our property (which I hate, but it only took
Juma one shock on the nose to avoid that area--sometimes we don't even
leave it on), and we've added extra fencing along the bottom of a third
corner, buried along the ground.

Today, while Rob was getting ready for work, I left in my car to go tend
to the neighbor's dog.  Juma was in the yard and was quite insistent
about getting into my car and going with me.  I left her in the fenced
area.  By the time I returned 10 minutes later, she had furiously
attempted to dig out under the gate again.  I reprimanded her for it,
then let her come inside with me.  When she realized Rob was still home,
she wouldn't leave his side.  After he went to work, she spent about ten
minutes pacing the house, seeming to search for him.

On occasion, I have heard our other neighbor (who lives about 100 feet
from us) shooting a gun.  Juma has always been skiddish around loud
noises like guns and firecrackers.  I'm assuming this is part of her
panic when she's outside.  Once, I came home to the sound of the
neighbor shooting, and was greeted by a hyperventilating Pyrenees who
bolted to me from under our storage barn on the back of the property
(where she rarely ever goes).

My questions are these:

(1) How can I get Juma to not panic at loud noises such as guns and
firecrackers?  Would it be feasible to desensitize her by frequently
exposing her to such noises?

(2) How can I eliminate her desire to dig out, even when it's quiet
outside?

(3) Is it feasible to provide her with a doggie door leading directly
into the house (given that, with a Pyr's size, it would also be big
enough for an intruding human to enter)?

Talking to the neighbor is out of the question; we are not on good
terms, and I wouldn't feel right asking anyone to restrict their own
activity on their own property anyway.

I am very concerned that one of these days she will find a new spot to
dig out, will take a new exploratory route to a farmer's chicken coop,
and will be shot.  The possibility of getting hit by a car is also
there, although it's lessened based on the fact that she would have to
travel almost 2 miles before encountering a major road.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry this is so long.

Stacey Korn