[pyrnet] Dog attacks

Rhonda Collins" <rhonda@castlepublishing.com>

Sounds to me like she did the intelligent thing. In fact, it is SO
intelligent it's scary--ESPECIALLY for such a young dog. I KNOW Pyrs are
smart, but that's a lot of common sense going on there. She was outnumbered
and "outgunned" and knew it, so she retreated and defended her herd. >>

Actually I suspect that both she and the goats more or less "ran" from the
chaos.  She really is a *baby* and probably reacted from survival instinct.
This is not a criticism just a statement that we can neither expect too much
nor interpret too much.  We don't need to make her a hero or a star.  What
we do need is to understand her inability to cope with what was expected of
her.  And accept that as ok for this stage of her life.

<<The shepherds in the Great Pyrenees used to
leave their dogs for days on end, completely unattended, counting on them
to use their common sense to guard the herd.>>

Well, yes they did, but they did NOT leave unattended 7 mos old to do an
adult's job which is what was happening here.

<< Sounds like she HAS common
sense and she was guarding her herd...so what's the problem?>>

The "problem" is that this baby needs some caring and "expert" human help
for her situation.

Linda