Re: [pyrnet] Dog attack

In a message dated 9/25/2002 10:07:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lmweisser@attbi.com writes:

She "needs" a partner only if that partner is older and more experienced
than she is.  Otherwise we have babies leading babies.  Now, in this
situation there was no extant older dog on duty.  So what she needs to to be
protected until she is old enough to do her job and not be asked to do
things beyond her abilities.

While I do not disagree with Linda, I just saw last year a pair of littermates then 7 months old working expertly in a very large field with about 60 goats at a nearby goat dairy.  They were placed on duty at four months old.  No problems and amazing results.  Now, I am not recommending at all this be done.  In fact I am against it totally without an older dog to help them get going. The instincts of this very ancient breed are very strong and reliable, but God, lets use some common sense in what we expect of them.

Joe