Re: [pyrnet] Help Please!

on 11/5/02 3:44 PM, Nancy K at nakhere@hotmail.com wrote:

> It turns out that Buster has atrophic myositis. I haven't been out on the
> web yet to read more about it; but, it is an auto-ammune deficiency that
> works on the muscles in his head. His eyes are not draining properly as his
> eyes are slowly sinking into his head. His nose is dry because the mucous
> isn't working ok there. He is drooling because he can't drink properly and
> he is having a hard time chewing hard dry food.
>
> I'm supposed to switch to softer food for him. I have been using Nutro
> Reduced Fat Maintenance hard food because Eiger, my Pyr rescue, is a food
> hog. Do you have any idea of any kind of soft food that would also have good
> nutrition? Have you ever heard of this condition before? Any prognosis of
> quality of life? I would appreciate any information from any of you.

A freind who was a vet said that the funding for medical research for people
was better for people than for dogs, so oftentimes vets turn to research on
humans. You might try that.  From what you're saying, I think his eyes might
be very dry also. You can remedy that with eyedrops twice daily.... they are
not scary expensive.  Dogs often love canned pumpkin and sweet potatoes, and
these are a great source of vitamin A which is good for the liver and lots
of other things.
Hope that is of some help.
Joan