Re: [pyrnet] Help Please!

<<It turns out that Buster has atrophic myositis.>>

Nancy, I am sorry to hear about Buster. However, a friend of mine has a dog
with Myositis of the Masticatory Muscles.  Know that a diagnosis such as
this is not necessarily a death sentence.  Geordie was diagnosed at around 2
years of age.  He is now six and while his head looks a little strange
(somewhat skeletal), he is a very healthy, happy boy who has plenty of years
left in him <g>.  Geordie in fact arrives tomorrow to spend a week with my
crew while his owner is overseas.  He usually runs them ragged and totally
exhausts me (he is a Hungarian Viszla BTW).

 <<I'm supposed to switch to softer food for him.>>

My suggestion is don't.  You dont want to encourage him not to use his
muscles, you want to keep them strong for as long as possible.  Geordie is
fed a raw diet.  His vet actually suggested in the beginning that his owner
keep him chewing as long as possible.  He is therefore fed large raw meaty
bones (chicken frames, lamb flaps, kangaroo tails, lamb necks etc) along
with the rest of the dogs.  He is a little slower than the others, but still
chews real well.  Without all the chewing exercise it is questionable
whether he would be able to eat properly now.  Geordie's owner does some
other things too - I know she will never vaccinate him again or use any
medications etc that may cause problems for his immune system (he was never
placed on steriods or anti-inflammatories), and does use some particular
supplements, the names of which escape me just now.  He does get fed large
doses of fish oil (omega 3) if I remember rightly.  If you wish I can send
her address to you privately so she can discuss your options with you and
provide you with some information.  She has done a lot of research on this
condition and knows the ins and outs in far more detail than I do.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com