Re: [pyrnet] Cancer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara Mattson" <bmattson@francomm.com>

He took her off  higher protein
dog food because of his concern that her bones were growing too quickly when
she was an adolescent. >>

This is a very valid concern.  Studies have shown that high protein food in
large breeds can have seriously detrimental effects on skeletal development.

<< We've kept her on that  ever since (now she's four)
but worry about  cancer since it seems to be a real problem with these dogs.
Hence the alarm. I've heard other vets recommend the Nutritional Excellence
food as well. >>

OK, let's talk about cancer.  it is no more common in Pyrs than in most
other breeds and very much less than some breeds.  If you want cancer
nightmares try Bernese or Boxers or Wolfhounds.  We're actually in pretty
good shape overall.

Here are the numbers taken from the GPCA health survey
(Find the whole thing at:
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/Personal/report.pdf )

Cancer is the leading cause of death in the breed.  31% of reported causes
of death were cancer.  Average age at cancer death -- 7.11 years.  Although
the number seems huge more Pyrs died of the combination of old age, accident
and euthanasia for temperament, than died of cancer.  As for other large
breeds Rhodesian Ridgebacks report 36% of deaths due to cancer.  I suspect
we are right in the "ballpark".  This is not to say that it is not
disturbing or that nothing *might* be done, but in humans, for example, a
lowered cancer death rate is mostly due to better treatment, not to fewer
"victims".

Now, lets look at the incident of reported cancer.

Out of a total of around 1700 dogs, 8.4% were reported with cancer.  Bone
cancer clearly the most common as it is in all large/giant breeds.  3.5%
reported bone cancer.

The "numbers" in the survey were broken out in 1991 and 1999.  These numbers
were rounded. I'm putting down the % numbers for each of those years, shown
1991/1999.  Total cancers reported 9/8. Total bone cancer 4/4.  Average age
of onset of all cancers 6.8/6.7.  So it can be seen that in those 8 years
(and nearly doubling the number of dogs in the survey) the occurrence, ages
etc changed very little.

I surely don't have objections to people taking care of their dogs in ways
in which the incidence of cancer *might* be reduced.  I just want us to
understand that cancer is not more common in Pyrs than in most breeds.

Linda Weisser
Great Pyrenees Club of America
Co-chair--Health Information Committee
lmweisser@attbi.com