Re: [pyrnet] Hi protein

In a message dated 12/9/2002 8:27:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, espinay@bigpond.com writes:

The 'performance pressure' of
this work in itself would result in an amount of selection - a dog that cant
do the work effectively is removed from the job and the the breeding
program.  We need to be just as vigilant in removing dogs that would not
make it even if they are no longer performing their chosen task.  We WANT to
breed the strongest and the fittest.  Naturally, we also want the benefits
of modern health care and I am not downplaying that, but it is a careful
balance that needs to be maintained.  We only do the breed (whatever breed)
a disservice if we 'prop them up' with modern medicine and then breed with
them.

Natural selection will insure that only the best and fitest go forward.  We do not always as breeders and I agree that is a great problem.

Thanks for the informed info on close breeding in the wild as that is what my reading has told me as well.

Joe