Re: [pyrnet] chat: Pyrenees Mountain Breeds

----- Original Message -----
From: <Reedialer1@aol.com>

pyrenean mastiffs dont BARK!!! well not like pyrs that bark at the air. they
arent known for their barking like our pyrs are. >>

Did this information come from a breeder or from owners of the dogs?  At
some level ALL LGDs bark.  Spend time on an LGD list and that fact becomes
very apparent.  That is their job and how they do it.  Barking saves them
from a lot of unpleasant and dangerous encounters with predators.  Also, not
all Pyrs bark at the air.  The barking obsession varies a lot in the breed.
If someone owned one of those obsessive barkers they might be convinced that
the whole breed is ghastly.  Not necessarily so.  That being said, the
largest complaint I hear from pet owners is about the barking.  So, I would
be interested in talking to a large and representative sample of pet owners
of PMs.

Linda