Re: [pyrnet] Pyr coloration

First, color seems to come back as Pyrs age. I had several pups born with
rather heavy markings. they all faded out a tremendous amount within the
first few months. Now that these pups are 8 years old, these heavy markings
are coming back. More so than the winter, it is probably the age of the dog
that is affecting the color and markings.

As far as the pink/rust color on the hot spot area and between the toes on
the feet. The pink area by the hot spot is protein stain from the saliva. It
is protein stain on the feet as well, but this is from the sweat glands.
Dogs sweat from their tongues and from between their toes. In hot, humid
weather, if you feel between your dog's toes, you will generally find the
hair wet. (at least, this is how it was explained to me)

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs)
& Flopsy (Pyrenean Shepherd)
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!"
bamb@monmouth.com