Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: training

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>She all but knocked me off the
>> steps this morning because she knew I didn't want her
>> out. And I'm admitting up front, her stay is not so
>> good. Any hints on correcting this behavior?
We use a "back up and wait" command that works well after a while. When
they rush the door, I say "back up" and motion with my hand (it helps that
they've learned it one at a time--not sure it would work with three all at
once!); once they've backed up and cleared the door, they get "wait"
rather than "stay"--I keep "stay" for "sit and don't move a muscle"
situations. They have learned that they can't go out until I release them
with an "OK". The same commands work really well in keeping them on the
deck after I've opened the gate and am unlocking the car, and when I bring
them in out of the car. Of course, I check for cats etc. first--I'm sure
if one ran up the side yard, all bets would be off!
Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose, Tori and Blair