[pyrnet] Health: after surgery question

I am normally a lurker to this list, although I read the postings daily and have learned a great deal.  I was hoping someone could help me with two questions actually.  First, I picked up my Pyr (neutered male) this morning at the vet.  He had surgery yesterday and has quite a few metal sutures on his belly.  We knew from past experience (when he was nuetered at 7 months) that he was not going to leave the stitches alone.  He actually pulled a few out before, which led to him being restitched, so we are doing our best not to have the same situation.  We had him fitted with an E collar immediately after his surgery, and have decided to keep it on at all times.  The problem is he is absolutely spooked by it. He is panting uncontrollably, banging his head into the walls trying to get it off.  He does stop as soon as I approach him, but he literally can't be out of my sight for a minute.    He is like a bull in a china shop.  I've taken the rest of the week off so that I can be home with him but I was hoping someone more experienced might have an idea that would be somewhat like the E collar but maybe a little less traumatic for him.

My second question is about the lump that he had removed during his surgery. He is only five years old, and while brushing him last week, we noticed the lump on his belly.  I brush him weekly and the week before I did not notice it.  When we did see it, it was the size of a tennis ball, and rock hard.  We immediately took him to the vet and after a few tests, we scheduled the surgery.  The biopsy is being sent to the University of Pennsylvania, and we have to wait a week for the results.  This is the best dog we ever had.  He is great with everyone, and has a wonderful personality.  We have decided whatever the outcome, we are going to do whatever it takes, because at five, we're not ready to let go.  I was wondering if anyone ever experienced anything like this with their Pyr, and if this would be considered a normal thing for a dog of his age. Any help on either question would be so much appreciated. (Sorry for the length)

Sue Gagnon
Darby (Pyr) & Chloe (Pyr)
Harleysville, PA