RE: [pyrnet] first time pyr owner

Hi Jennifer, I'm Cat and Angel is my first Pyr as well.  Our family has had Black Labs for the last 23+ years (Sheba lived to be 17  and Storm was 9 when he died of cancer).  I'm finding Angel's disposition a bit different than labs, but had done extensive research before deciding to become a Pyr "mom", so am not surprised.

I do find it amusing that the old "fetch" game has a different twist with her..if you throw something, she looks at you as if to say, "You threw it.  If you want it, YOU go get it"!  Come is NOT in her vocabulary, other than "run like the hounds of Hell are after you..in the opposite direction, REALLY fast"..however, a clap of the hands or a quick whistle will bring her at a trot.  She loves belly rubs and is finally learing that being brushed is a good thing.  We have been together for almost 3 months now and have experienced 3 wetting "accidents" in the house. All 3 have been since I plugged in the herbal aresol remedy for her seperation anxiety this past week.

When she came to us at 16.5 weeks, she was (blessedly) housebroken!  All I have to do is ask if she'd like to go out and she'll go to the door or not.  If she needs to go and my husband & I are busy, she will do the hop, talk to us, moving on to giving low growls if she didn't get our attention, then progress to a few quick barks whit fanny in the air and head on the paws...as if to say "I REALLLLLY need go to NOW"!

So far, I have found her to be gentle, laid back, great with our 9 grandchildren and visitors to our home.  She's also beautifully well behaved when out on the lead (PetSmart or other homes).  She loves car rides and is not overly fond of baths (but will tolerate them to humor her mom).  She learned "sit" in one day, but has decided that's about as far as she willing to go to humor me right now.  Perhaps it's the collar?  If it's a thin, narrow collar, it MIGHT be pinching him or causing discomfort to elicit the yelp.

Sorry everyone, I don't mean to be so "gabby" I'm just amazed at this gentle girl who haas joined our family and have been trying to make sure that we are the best "mom & dad" we can be!  I'm also happy to see another new "mom" join the ranks!

Jennifer Helfrich-Will <moomoney@sigecom.net> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

My question is this…

I have a 3 month old male pyr.  I am a first time owner of a pyr, in the past I have had poodles and rotts.  I didn’t know that pyr’s are such sensitive creatures.  I usually take “Rex” out to the bathroom once through the night.  I have found that when you say “lets go potty” he just looks at me and then lays his head back down to sleep.  I know that he has to go because after we are outside he always wets and I do think that asking a pyr puppy to hold it for an entire night (8 hours) is to long.

Well,

If I pull at Rex in order to get him to stand up and go outside he “yelps So, I find myself sitting down next to him rubbing his tummy and talking with him for a short while.  Then he gets up on his own and goes outside.

Do all pyrs require so much attention and coaxing in order to accomplish a task?  It seems like I have to hug Rex a lot and tell him that his mother loves him.  In fact he seems to seek out human contact.  This is unlike any other breed I have ever had before.

Jennifer Helfrich-Will, HFA

www.askjennifer.info

www.nursinghomeadministrators.net

Cat

Visit my sites @ The Manley & Sockol Families History and Genealogy and

Cat's Lair, Home of Unicorns, Faeries & Dragons.