Re: RE: [pyrnet] Re: thunder

Some suggestions that have worked for us:
First, try not to be too comforting! Be rather matter-of-fact about it so
the dog doesn't pick up from you either that there's really something to
be worried about, or that the "fear" behavior is being rewarded.
Second, what has worked for us with Ivy Rose is melatonin, a natural
substance that has certainly had a calming effect, particularly if we get
a head start on the storm! She used to get absolutely frantic, scrabbling
at doors, walls, etc. and really out of control. We have also found that
putting her on a leash and just keeping her close helps. I think it gives
her permission to not be in control and responsible. She still hates the
storms, but at least it's manageable. Going into a quiet dark room doesn't
help with her, although it did with one of our previous pyrs. Keeping the
light on helps some when it's night time.
Good luck!
Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose, Tori and Blair