Re: [pyrnet] dog classes

YIKES!  I can't find my glasses this morning & just saw the encrypted message I snet you~ I'm amazed you could read it!  Actually, Angel gets tons of "good girls" and lots of hugs when she obeys a new command, even when repeating a known one.  She is not food driven, which can present a problem, but IS hug driven, so it's all for the good!  I can deal with the unlearned commands for the time being, she drops things instantly when told, comes when I clap or call her name or click my fingers, crates without a problem and will sit more often than not (grin).  I am most concerned about "safety" commands at the start than anything else and those she's doing very well with.  Wish we weren't continets apart~ I'd love to have you help train me to train her!  I've always WANTED to visit Australia, but don't think training Angel would be a justified expense while remodeling the kitchen

Off to work~have a great day!

 Tracy <espinay@bigpond.com> wrote:

<the most.>>

I won't even 'train' for that long as a rule. 5 minutes maximum and
sometimes less. I encourage my classes to do 'TV Training' - do your
training only for the length of the TV ad breaks . short multiple
sessions of 1/2 a minute to 5 minutes throughout the day is much more
effective in the long run than setting aside one larger slot of time. This
also gives you the opportunity to make use of the exercises you are teaching
in day to day activities (which is really what they are all about )

<her collar for her to get hte ifea.>>

Great that she has learnt it so quickly! Not my preferred method
though.

<< She also learned "leave it", "bed", "out" and "crate" in rapid order. >>

Very useful things to learn!

<< When it's something she has no interest in, like the command "come",
forget it! >>

Pyrs can be notorious for this (an offlead Pyr is a disapyr ) but there
ARE ways to teach it! Remember when calling your dog to always make it a
pleasant experience. Don't call your dog to tell it off or to do something
'nasty' in your Pyrs eyes. Go get them if you have to rather than calling.
Using some signal other than 'come' is fine too if it works for you. I will
sometimes teach the word 'front' or 'here' (these for me mean different
things technically but they are still versions of 'come to me' ). I know a
few people who get good recalls to the word 'cookie!' There are games
you can play to help teach it too. 'pass the puppy' is my favourite
particularly if you have kids. Sit facing each other (or in a triangle or
circle depending how many there are of you) and each have a stash of yummy
treats (small bits of hotdogs or cheese or cooked meat/sausage for instance)
each person is to call the pup around the group ('puppy' COME!) when the
pup comes to them it gets given a treat and hugged, patted, praised etc.
The next person then calls (but make sure the pup only gets the treat when
it is called and not just because it is running round the group!)

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com