From: HLE [mailto:levoy@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 11:20 AM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Challenging LGD Prospect

Jeff
First I'm curious where she came from and have you talked to the
breeder.  The Petrovich's (Pyr breeders) are fairly close to you  in
Columbia, TN and I believe they have other animals on the property.

I'm not a trainer by trade and quite a few would disagree with my
tactics but I would suggest getting the point across to her that the
fowl is family.  If possible: hand feeding the birds where she can see
you, handling them, letting her sniff without harming them, etc.  And a
stern  "No" to inappropriate behavior near them.  She may not be
"attacking" but rather "playing" too rough.  This will pass.

My six year old Neesa would occasionally charge across the yard, catch a
wild bird, and make her own snack regardless of how well fed she was.
 But she never seemed to behave like another type dog I once had (won't
list the breed because somebody will be offended) who seemed to chase
and kill stuff just for the fun of it.

My three year old Peaches will chase wild birds and occasionally bump
one with her nose but she seems to have no desire to grab one.  When we
first got her, she wanted to eat the my wife's cat.  But with some of
the "conditioning listed above, she's become friends with it.  Although
a little jealous of the cat being petted, she is protective of it when
she doesn't know we are around.

HLE