RE: [pyrnet] Chat: behavior, dominance

This thread reminds me of something that I wanted to share with you all...

About a month ago, we were cooking a 11 pound pork roast (with bone) because
we were having family over for dinner.

At the time, Patrick was about 17 months old.

Scenario:

Patrick watches (with drool) as the monstrous roast is prepared and inserted
in the oven. 1/2 way through the cooking, I had to pull the roast out, add
veggies, and stick it back in the oven for a few more hours. Thinking ahead,
I put Patrick in his crate, removed the roast from the oven, and placed it
on top of the stove. I then had to run to the living room because my
daughter was crying (She is two and had fallen off of the couch).

Now... I thought I secured the latches on the crate, but I was obviously
mistaken. I spent about 5 minutes total in the living room, not hearing
anything that would lead me to believe that my beautiful roast was in
danger.

I head back out to the kitchen and Patrick is sitting in his crate, but the
door is wide open. I look up on the counter and the pan that the roast was
in is there, but no roast was to be found... Interestingly enough, the only
evidence of foul play was leftover drool marks on the kitchen floor.

Patrick had eaten an entire 1/2 cooked, 11 pound pork roast including the
bone in approximately 5 minutes, even sparing enough time to lick the
evidence off the floor, and run back to his crate.

Needless to say, Patrick had food poisoning for 5 days after this event. He
vomited 80% of it up in a matter of minutes, but the diarrhea was
uncontrollable and lasted for almost a week. He had absolutely no bowel
control, it just constantly leaked out... He also vomited 3 times a day for
3 days... Absolutely disgusting! :cP The poor guy was completely miserable
for a week...

We took him to the vet the same day, and they told us that dogs have strong
enzymes in their digestive systems that allow them to digest raw meat and
basically, we will have to let it run it's course.

There are too many things to be learned from this story to list, but a few
would be...

Always double check latches on your crate!

A 3/4 grown Pyr (85lb) can devour 11 pounds of raw meat and bone in under 6
minutes!

Pork = Bad for dogs! Don't give your dog pork!!!!!!!

Don't try to wash your dog until your are certain that the diarrhea is OVER!

Liquefied dog feces stains everything!

Most importantly... Never underestimate the will and resolve of a Great
Pyrenees puppy... He knew it was wrong, and the poor guy paid dearly for his
mistake.

Oddly enough, he remembers the incident and has not taken any food off the
counter since (which, up until then had been a constant issue).

I assume that he thinks I did this to him as punishment.

I look back on the time and as horrible as it was I can't help but chuckle.

Alas, it's just another memory now...

Sean