Re: [pyrnet] Re: Young Pyr's Behaviour

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>My male Pyr is almost 7 months old.  He can be very active and always
>seems
>to be testing us.  He keeps trying to get away with things that he
>shouldn't.
> Also, if I correct him for doing something, he'll do three or more bad
>things right after as retaliation.  A friend said that he must be
>thinking,
>"If I got heck for something, I might as well make it worth it!"
Sounds really familiar! I hate to tell you that this may last for some
time yet--it surely did with Paddington! But take heart--he grew up to be
an extraordinarily wonderful companion, visitor to nursing home and
children's hospital, etc. The only advice I can give is to keep on with
the training. Whenever he does something he shouldn't, give several
commands and be sure he obeys them. This means a real commitment of time,
but it does eventually work--it lets him know that it's *not* worth it!
And it also establishes that you're the boss. We kept Paddy in obedience
classes until he was about 18 months, largely because it was a constant
reminder to us not to let up on the training. In time, you'll come to
laugh at all of this, and to treasure the independence and intelligence
that's a bit of a trial right now!
Ann, Peg, Tori and Blair