RE: [pyrnet] Jumping in with both paws!

Title: Jumping in with both paws!
Hi Frank!  Welcome to the wonderful world of Pyrs!  Pyrs can and do come with colour (actually we're now seeing more colour here in the states, but colour has always been a feature of European Pyrs) an the badger makings and spot by the tail that you described on your boy are typical.  Don't be concerned if the colour begins to fade.  It will as the dog matures, but frequently will come back, although maybe not as dark.  Three of our four Pyrs had their colour return.

As for the double dews -- while they are part of the standard, occasionally there will be a Pyr that has one missing.  Occasionally there will be a Pyr that has 3 on one of the back feet!  I know -- we had a male with a triple.  This is not a fault.  Missing one will not a reason for dismissing a dog from the show ring, but will make it more difficult for the dog to win.  I know of one Pyr owner who finished a Pyr that lacked double dew claws, but it was an exceptional dog to begin with.

You mentioned that the woman called the father a "Landseer Great Pyrenees" -- could this be a Pyrenean Mastiff?  PMs have much more colour than the Pyrs but generally are similar to the Pyr.

Good luck with your puppy!  It sounds like he has gone to a wonderful home!

Robyn Allwright
Ziffany Pyrs & TMs
www.picassosdog.com