Re: Fwd: Re: [pyrnet] Health: HELP! Doxycycline upsetting Pyr stomach

 thanks Shirley- this is great info-  am going to check that list out.
Sue Steggall

Sue, there is a wonderful list about all the canine tick-borne diseases
(ehrlichia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme, Babesiosis, Hepatozoonois).
I hope you can join and check the archives.

Several vets specializing in this disease post regularly such as Dr. Tom
Beckett of San Antonio.

For information on joining, contact List Manager Lynda Adams at

This list is a great resource. Our pyr Ivy had a bout with Lyme and was
treated successfully by being blitzed with doxycycline.

An old Tick List post re doxy problems is appended. Shirley McGreal

In a message dated 3/14/01 12:30:54 PM Central Standard Time,

  > I understand that Doxycycline and Tetracycline are to be given with food to
  > avoid stomach upset. My dog is tolerating the Doxycycline well but does
have
  > a sore tummy from it, and we are only 3 weeks into a 7-week course of
  > treatment (650 mg b.i.d.). She will only take in minimal amounts, no
  > matter
  > how delectable the food is. She is losing weight.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==
Other posts have offered good advice. Just a few thoughts:

1. Consider dividing the daily dose (1300mg in this case) four ways and
dosing 4 times a day.

2. In people, the tetracycline drugs sometimes cause ulcers in the esophagus
due to reflux of drug back from the stomach. Because of this, people aren't
supposed to lie down flat for a while after taking a dose of the drugs. Don't
know for sure that this happens in dogs but it is something to consider if
the dog acts like swallowing hurts.

3. My rescuers typically give a multivitamin tab, 500-1000mg of vitamin C,
and Wysong's probiotic powder daily to dogs under treatment, and they report
it helps maintain the dogs.

4. As Dr Stack suggested, some dogs don't tolerate Doxycycline well, and you
have to cut back or even sometimes stop the med. It is a judgment call, and
often good to get new CBC and blood chemistry data to aid in decision-making.

Tom Beckett, DVM
Austin, Texas

--
All email sent through this list is Copyright 2001 by its original author
EST

.