[pyrnet] Zuni

Just when you think things are really bad...
    We decided not to amputate Zuni's leg for many reasons and opted to try full-course radiation and chemo. The radiation would involve 18 almost consecutive treatments with Zuni having to be sedated each time. She went in for her first one Wednesday and while she was under, the doctors noticed her heartbeat had some abnormalities. They took this to a cardiologist who did a full work-up and found that Zuni basically has heart disease (on top of bone cancer). This was most likely caused by the use of Adriamycin during the first round of chemo five years ago. Her heart is very weak and faint and putting her through 17 more radiation treatments is out of the question. She is also now on two heart medications on top of pain killers.
     So... we are hardly left with any choices. At this point amputation would be risky and we still don't want to do that to her with all the potential problems involved. We are going to try chemotherapy still with just Cistplatyn (I know I'm probably spelling these all wrong) and pain management however we can. I can honestly say we have pretty much had the week from Hell. However, the only thing that is cheering me up a bit is watching her right now. She is still her happy silly Pyr-self lying upside-down on her couch and swatting at you as you go by. With meds she is limping minimally and still parades around the yard air-barking (debarked before we got her) along with her sister Belle. I just hope we can keep her feeling good and happy as long as possible now that we are between the rock and hard place we seem to find ourselves in. This poor 7.5 year-old Pyr Baby has had to take so much more than she ever deserved in her short Pyr life so far, I want to give her the best we can for the rest of it. I'll keep you all updated, and thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

-Emily Martorano, and Belle & Zuni
EHMartorano@aol.com