[pyrnet] Fear of thunderstorms

Our Pyr, Atalanta, who will be five in November, has recently developed a fear of thunderstorms, of which we have a lot here in the Shernandoah Vally. This is very strange, as she grew up here and never showed any fear of storms at all. Normally, she lives with her goats in an area of a few acres fenced in with an electric fence. No problem. But now whenever there is a storm, she finds a way out through/under the fence and comes up to the house. This is a problem because once out of the fence, she could get down to the highway or into a neigbor's pasture.

At first, we tied her up to a tree near the house for a day or so. She hates this, because she doesn't like to be tied up or to not be near her goats. But, lately we have been tying her to a tree inside the fence for several hours. (The lead is long enough to allow her to get to shelter, water, shade, and food.) But, then when she is off the line and a storm comes, she breaks out again.

We cannot afford an escape-proof fence around the property. We do keep the electric fence maintained, but a determined Pyr, with a heavy coat, can usually find a place to squeeze under, with some momentary discomfort.

Our vet has recommended putting her inside a pen inside the fence overnight each time she gets out, so she does not have to be tied, which Atalanta finds humiliating. I will get that set up this weekend. She (the vet) also says she has seen older dogs develop such fears, but they grow out of it.

Anyone else run into this?   Suggestions welcome.
       ..Bob

~~~~~~~~~~ Robert Heinmiller Omnet, Inc. (21 North Central Avenue) Post Office Box 1285 Staunton, Virginia 24402 USA

               R.Heinmiller@Omnet.org
               +540.885.5800
               http://www.Omnet.com