[pyrnet] Fear of thunderstorms

Hi Bob

I have several times seen dogs that did not use to be afraid of thunderstorms, shooting, fireworks and so on get afraid as they get older. It seems strange because you would think that as their hearing gets less acute it would bother them less as they get old, but most of my dogs have been totally unbothered by these things as youngsters, and some of them has developed fears later on.

My first pyr was almost 9 years when he first showed fear of fireworks, and later shooting and thunderstorms followed. And it just got worse and worse during his last couple of years
I don't want to sound pessimistic and destroy hope, but in my experience they don't outgrow the late onset fear, quite the contrary. But maybe it will be different for your dog.

Best wishes  Lene Nielsen, Denmark
sandybear@orangenet.dk
http://mobilixnet.dk/~wai38745/