[pyrnet] Pyr's growth

Hi Frank,

I wouldn't be too concerned with the size of Beau.  When we got Claude I
was offered the following advise to make sure the dog was neither too
thin nor too fat:
Stretch your hand and feel the knuckles: this is the way your dog's ribs
should feel; hold your hand open and feel the knuckles: dog is too fat
if ribs feel like this (ribs hard to feel); make a fist and feel the
knuckles: dog too skinny.

I'm surprised that Beau is such a picky eater.  If we would have fed
Claude until he was satisfied, he would have looked like a pumpkin.  He
has a ferocious appetite and even though he eats double of what my
German Shepherd eats, he is done eating way before Ebony has good and
well started.

I too have tracked Claude's weight and height and remember from postings
around the time when he was a puppy, that many dogs were heavier than
him.  Claude only weighs 102lbs at 16 mos. of age and is 30" tall.

Here is my list (I have shortened it, as it is too detailed <G>):
8 wks - 23lbs. - 13"
9 wks - 25lbs.
10 wks - 27 lbs.
11 wks - 29 lbs. - 17"
12 wks - 31.5lbs.
13 wks - 35lbs - 18.5"
14 wks - 36lbs.
15 wks - 40lbs.
4 mos. - 46lbs.
5 mos. - 56lbs. - 34"
6 mos. - 65lbs.
7 mos. - 69.5lbs.
8 mos. - 75lbs - 27"
10 mos. - 83.5lbs
12 mos. - 91.5lbs - 28.5"
15 mos. - 99lbs

It is, however, healthier for a puppy to be on the lean size than too
plump.  Heavy puppies equal heavy adults, and the weight is hard on
their bones.  Pyrs grow very slowly into their adult weight; it can take
up 2.5 to 3 years before they reach their adult weight.  So I keep
monitoring his weight and feeling his ribs.  I'm sure that by the time
he reaches his adult weight, we will be monitoring his food intake even
more carefully, as pyrs have a slow metabolism and I have heard that
they don't eat that much when fully grown.

Reni