Re: [pyrnet] Health, Care: GI Problem

My 15 year old German Shepherd had problems with loose stools with alot of mucous.  He had a bout of pancreatitis and thankfully recovered, but I had to be really careful with his diet after he came out of hospital, since he was still having very loose stools and still on antibiotics.  What the vet had recommended and what I did was cook white rice, cook and drain the fat from ground beef and mix the two.  I also used other meats, like chicken and turkey.  He was fed this a few times a day in small amounts.  The rice helped firm up the stool and the mucous went away.  He also took Pepto Bismol, which settled things too.  I then moved him on to Medi-Cal Gastro canned food and again fed it a few times a day.  Then after about a week, I put slowly put him back on his regular diet.

He is better now and if his stools seem to be getting loose, I give him the canned Medi-Cal and it firms him up again.

I don't know if this will help the Pyr, but in my old guy's case this routine helped.

Christine