From: D3melza@aol.com [mailto:D3melza@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 2:03 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: [pyrnet] [PyrNet-L] Zuni is Gone

Hello All,

   Stefan and I had to put Zuni down this morning. It was quick and
horrible. She was fine last night, was playing in the yard, and really
enjoyed the frozen Buffalo bone I gave her. At 2:00am I woke up to a crash
and found her having some sort of crisis on the floor of the kitchen. She
had kicked over a pot in the process, which was what woke me up, thank
goodness. She was unresponsive for a few minutes and was all stiff, frothing
at the mouth, and had been incontinent. We hurried to take her to the
Referral Center ER and by the time we got going she was alert again and
walking. They said most likely she had brain metastasis from her bone
cancer, which was causing her to have seizures. She appeared OK and some
quick blood work didn't tell us much else, so we opted to bring her home for
the night and watch her until we could speak with her oncologist. She slept
on her couch, was fine at 7:00am and went out to pee with Belle (her
littermate) and came in fine. At 8:00 she had another, more violent seizure.
After that, she ate her breakfast just fine. While trying to decide what to
do again, they kept happening more frequently. Sometimes they would just be
small, all in her face, and other times she would just crash down and thrash
her limbs uncontrollably. It was terrifying to watch and it was clear she
was suffering. We couldn't get ahold of her doctor, but by this point it was
painfully obvious that there wasn't anything we could do for her but put and
end to it. She was starting to act like she didn't even know where she was
at home, and I'm not sure she knew I was with her. Bellie came and they
touched noses before we left. Everyone at the Referral Center was wonderful.
The worst part was that they had a terrible time trying to get a catheter
into her leg for the drugs. She kept seizing and had very low blood
pressure. They finally gave her valium and got her stable so we could say
goodbye. At this point I felt like she was already partway gone. I looked
into her eyes, but I didn't see her familiar love and recognition anymore.
She just looked lost and vacant. So we held her, I kissed her muzzle, and
the rest was blessedly fast and peaceful. We're just devastated. We knew it
was coming, but I never considered it would be like this or so soon. I feel
relief at least that everything is over for her and that she was comfortable
and happy up until today. She's whole again and happy, I hope, at the
bridge. Now we're the ones who have to heal... Thanks for listening.

Emily
Denver, CO
D3melza@aol.com