[pyrnet] Re: Hip certification procedure - Robyn

Robyn Allwright wrote:

Vets do
need to be mindfull of the amount of anesthetic they give the dog -- enough
to put the dog under, not by weight of the dog.

Hi Robyn

You're right. I'm "running on empty" as they say with a case of the flu. I keep firing off the emails without getting the whole message finished.

But without the weight, it is easier to overmedicate.

In the human operating room, vitals are monitored closely and the drug is applied to the desired effect. Good vets should do the same. But I've seen some of the vets just draw up a syringe and shoot the whole load.

Dr. Emberton says that the weight of the dog gives her a "red line" That is the absolute limit regardless of the effect upon the dog. Dr. Emberton is like an old doctor I once knew. He walked into the prep room and the patient asked him, "Are you the doctor that's going put me to sleep?" "No", he replied, "I'm the doctor that's going to make sure you wake up".

HLE