Re: [pyrnet] RE: Collars

<<I would recommend against choke chains or any chain type collar.  They will break
the coat, but even more as stubborn as Pyrs can be you could damage their throats.>>

I would disagree with this from several aspects but also with a few warnings.  First
warning, NEVER leave a chain "choke" collar on a dog unless it is attached to a leash
and the leash is in your hand.  Or during a training class where you have quick
access to the dog.

Dogs get broken coats from chain collars for two major resons.  The dog is in some
"serious" training, or the collar is left constantly on the dog  See above.  Believe
me if you have a dog that is difficult, obstreperous or out of control, a broken coat
is a small price to pay for getting a handle on the problem.  One thing about hair is
that it grows.  In a few months you won't notice.

I have never personally known of a dog who had its throat damaged by a chain collar.
Partly because Pyrs have so much protection from their big coats.  I will allow as to
how it may have happened.  If it did, it probably came, not from being stubborn but
from incorrect use of the collar.  These collars are not "choke" collars.  They are
"correction" collars.  A quick, sharp snap and then an equally quick release.  "Good
dog!!"  No other training device will get you the kind of attention that you get from
a properly used chain!!  When you start, get a good trainer or experienced individual
to teach you how to do this.

I have seen people try to train on haltis and gentle leaders and on nylon correction
collars and on buckle collars and I have seen way too many cases of out of management
dogs.  If I put a chain on them and apply a few well directed corrections, it is
totally amazing how they improve :-))  I will say here that if an owner starts early
with a puppy in a good behavioral class, such firm discipline may hopefully never be
needed.  There are trainers who will only allow nylon buckles, but they use a good
positive reward system.  I am definitely "old school" and have seen this positive
system break down often.

Once the dog is more or less calm and under control I don't think that it matters
(except NO chains)  My dogs wear the plastic snap type collars at home.  I like these
because the snaps will break if the dog pulls at them hard enough.  Most buckles will
not.  When we are traveling I leave these collars on and walk them on Flexis.  When I
walk my dogs from place to place around here or go to the vet, I use what we call a
"kennel slip" which is kind of like a 6 ft long nylon lariat. A lot of people like
the head collars and they seem to work well for walking.  The also seem to work for
dogs hard to manage when walking.

So, if you want to save coat your "best" bet is no collar at all.  After that you
should choose a nylon collar of some sort which the dog wears all the time.  Also
popular are rolled leather for sparing coats, but these are buckle also and too
"sturdy " for me.

In the end remember that virtually all show dogs are shown on chair collars.  These
collars are fine and narrow and not left on the dog and are in the hands of people
who understand what to do with them.

Linda