Re: [pyrnet] Touchy Guts and Probiotics

On 11 Apr 2004 at 11:38, LynmaloneB@aol.com wrote:

> Just thought I'd put in a good word for metronidizole. My first Great
> Pyrenees, Tuckerman, had frequent bouts of diarrhea and metronidizole
> was the one thing that would relieve it and clear it up - almost
> instantly. My vet had tried a number of other approaches and
> diagnostics, but this was the only thing that worked. Prolonged use
> might be a whole different story, but I never had any problems with
> short-term use.

I have several pyrs who have had touchy guts.  I have had good
results with a series of Probiotics < found in health food stores > or
Vet Supply catalogs.  Usually a 6 month treatment will cure the
problem.  The Probiotics restore and maintain the good bacteria in
the intestines.  It seems the boys are always more prone to
digestive upsets than the girls and once they mature the problem
solves itself.  I also know of someone with a rescue pyr that has
problems with him the entire time she has had him.  She started
Probiotics and he was fine.  She ran out and he immediately had
diarrhea again. So she is now a believer and has ordered the
product I use, which is excellent.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico