[pyrnet] Re: Health, "ovarian remnants"

I posted a few days ago about our girl Ivy having blood spots and redness in the vulva area, about six years after she was spayed. We now have the results of her estradiol tests, her score was 22.21. It should be less than 15 in a spayed dog, according to the Antech report. Our veterinarian suggests that Ivy undergo a vaginal cytology the next time she next appears to be in heat, to check for an "ovarian remnant."

Are such remnants frequently found? We would be really scared to have Ivy, now nine years old, undergo surgery to search for remnant tissue. We're very puzzled about all this as she was originally spayed so long ago, before she came to South Carolina.

Dr. Shirley McGreal, Chairwoman
International Primate Protection League
POB 766, Summerville SC 29484-0766, USA
Ph. 843-871-2280 Fax. 843-871-7988
E-mail: smcgreal@ippl.org, Website www.ippl.org

"We need not think alike to love alike." Francis David