Re: [pyrnet] HEALTH: long-term use of Deramaxx and Australian drugs

On 18 Aug 2004 at 12:11, Shirley McGreal wrote:
> However, I am concerned about potential long-term side effects and
> wonder if any list members have had any dog(s) on long-term deramaxx
> therapy. Is there any kind of testing that should be done while Ivy's
> on this medication, and how often should it be done? Any good
> reference articles? Should any vitamins be used contemporaneously?
>
> What alternative drugs are there? I am suspicious of rimadyl as I had
> a bad experience with our late Pyr Sebastien who developed the only
> case of adult onset megaesophagus in the Pyr health database, and
> which may or not have been linked to his use of rimadyl.

Shirley, Deramaxx is no safer than Rimadyl.  You only trade one set of side affects
for another.  It's an NSAID just like Rimadyl.  They all have side affects.  It's just
whether your dog does good on that certain one or not.  There have been a number
of adverse side affects reported to both Deramaxx and Metacam

http://home.insightbb.com/~e.murray/index.html

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Brooke & Lana (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices