RE: [pyrnet] HEALTH: long-term use of Deramaxx and Australian drugs

I have had no problems with Rimadyl in treating arthritis or hip dysplasia
in any of my dogs (Mals, Pyrs).  However, its use does need to be monitored
regularly and very carefully and liver function tests must be administered
every 3 months with daily, long term use.  I had my mal Raisa, on 100mg
Rimadyl 2x day for her dysplasia and arthritis for a one month period with
no problems or side effects, and it works very well. With her improvement, I
only need to administer 1 tablet when I note she is feeling unusually stiff
and lame.  Price for Rimadyl is approximately $1.00 per tablet which I do
purchase directly from my vet.

Another alternative is adequan injections which Raisa also has been through.
There was marked improvement with (6) doses @ $36.00 per dose, and now only
needs a maintenance dose once every 3 months or so.

However, the most amazing improvement came when I did something I never
thought would work, but my vet recommended it.  I changed her dog food.
Within a couple days of being on Nutra Large Breed Dog Food with
Glucosamine, she was like an entirely different animal.  Both in physical
capability, personality, spunkiness, etc.  It has made a world of difference
and am also feeding it to my Pry, Czar.

Maybe the right combination of the above options may prove to assist with
Ivy, as this is what I found with Raisa.  Nutra also makes a Sr. dog food
which may help her as well.

Best of luck with Ivy.....I know how challenging and deeply concerning this
condition can be to treat.

Beth, Czar and Raisa in Rural Wisconsin