RE: [pyrnet] Dew claws

On 13 Sep 2004 at 11:16, Viney, Bethany wrote:

> My Pyr, Czar, tore out his front dew claw about 6 weeks ago
> outside, (I am presuming on a fence) and he ripped it out from the
> base inside the skin; he has been on antibiotics for 6 weeks to clear
> up the infection, and thankfully, it is now finally gone.  However,
> the vet said his dew claw will never grow back, and if the infection
> didn't heal, the entire toe would have to be surgically removed.

I hope Czar will not need more surgery.  I have only heard of pyrs
tearing front dewclaws, never back ones and the front are usually
caught in fencing, as you suspect.  One of mine tore the nail out of
a rear dew claw, but the nail grew completely back.

Judith
Taos, New Mexico
jsmiller@newmex.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~ksane/judy/