From: Renilda Van Aerden [mailto:rvanaerd@ucalgary.ca]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 10:55 AM
To: Pyrnet-l
Subject: [pyrnet] Dew claws

PLEASE, DO NOT LET YOUR VET REMOVE DEW CLAWS ON A PYR!!!!!

A lot of breeds that have dew claws are easily removed, as the dew claws sit
on a fleshy pad.  BUT a pyr's dewclaws are actually build on a bone
structure.  Removing dew claws on a pyr is AMPUTATION, and is very painful.
A vet who is suggesting removal of the dew claws has NO experience with
Great Pyrenees!  This is scary!  Of course, if a dew claw becomes injured,
then treatment is necessary, but for a vet to suggest removing dew claws
'out of convenience' is totally wrong.

When I took my pyr puppy to the vet for neutering, I automatically informed
him that his dew claws were NOT to be removed, as some vets may do this
without informing the owner.

Reni and Claude