RE: [pyrnet] CHAT: Puppy Personality Test

Elaine;

I have performed the Puppy Personality Tests many times on litters of
Alaskan Malamutes.  Although not totally scientific, I do believe it
reflects certain personality traits which are helpful in the ultimate
placement of puppies, as well as their ability to perform in the show ring,
or in the case of the Malamutes, their viability as a sled dog and as to
what position on the team would suit them the best.  I do believe that some
traits uncovered during the test do carry through to their adult life, and
the tests are best administered by someone who has never been around the
litter previously.

My very last puppy test occurred in 1995, and I made a horrible mistake.
The home which I went to test the puppies was not well lit, but I knew the
breeder very well.  She had instructed me to enter the back porch upon
arrival which I did.  When I entered, the Alaskan Malamute mother of the
litter met me at the door; I bent down and extended my hand for her to
sniff, and apparently since she did not know me, felt I was a threat to her
pups and tore directly into my face. This, was not pretty...so after a trip
to the ER, a tetanus shot, and many weeks of open bites on my nose and a
torn upper lip, it finally healed.  That was a mistake I made, I regret it,
and have definitely learned from it.  That was my very last puppy test!

Good luck; they are very fun to do; especially with a large active litter!

Beth, Czar and Raisa in Rural Wisconsin