Re: [pyrnet] Food issues-Pano

<<I've talked to recommend
slow growth. Hence, adult foods.>>

I am not aware of any evidence that adult food results in slower growth. I would love to see same if anyone has any.  I have asked many, including some major proponents of this concept and no one seems to be able to give anything other than they believe it may work.  I use a much different protocol with I believe good success, but involves no change in food, unless food is not high quality anyway.  For comparison purposes, I believe pano is mostly caused by genetics or at least a genetic predisposition.  It can be exacerbated by stress, even minor like teething.  The onset may be for completely unknown reasons as well.  We see it very frequently in all sizes of Pyrs i.e. not just the big ones.  99% of the time it is self limiting with rest, and some minor support like good hygiene, top quality food, maybe a buffered aspirin with more severe cases.  Recently we have  bought into the idea of Albon.  Nothing but subjective evaluation of its benefits, but it consistently seems to within 2-4 days stop the pain or most of it.  Could be coincidence, but we continue to subjectively feel it helps and maybe a lot.  That's the only thing I have found that I think that helps other than rest and analgesic with more severe.  If pain goes to rear legs it is generally much more severe and might result in residual lameness.  This is the 1% above, so the Albon might be very important here, if it really works.

As far as food, if anything I increase the quality of the food over this stressful period of pain from Pano. This is very important as the pain diminishes the appetite anyway and the good nutrition of what is eaten is very important.  I have very good results and as I said I have seen it a lot and am seeing it now in a 7 month old dog that just started at six months when he came here.  Likely exacerbated by the change from his breeders home to ours.

BTW, I tried the food thing years ago with no results other than the normal course I had been seeing already.  Problem also with Pano is it can begin as early as 3 months and can occur any time to over a year old and occasionally longer.

Joe