Re: Re: [pyrnet] Food issues

<< BUT it is the quality that counts>>Dianne

I didn't have time to summarise the articles yesterday, but yes, that is
correct.  It is quality not quantity that is important.  Some of these
studies too seem to only be based on pups up to 6 months of age and were
focussed only on early bone growth and not specifically on issues like pano.
I will see if I have time to pull some articles regarding pano later
tonight.

Yes, these studies were all based on kibble fed dogs (and the research
performed primarily by kibble manufacturers or funded by them).  There is
one 'study' on raw fed pups at this time which is mostly a report of severe
bone growth issues in one litter of pups.  The article however does not
specify the type of diet fed apart from saying it is 'raw' and further
questioning of authors indicates that the diet was not a 'typical' raw one
and the pups appear to have not been given an adequate calcium source (eg
bone).

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com