Re: Re: [pyrnet] Food issues-Pano

> As far as self limiting, our philosophy is one never knows which cases will become severe and those that can go to the back legs until the disease is active. If the low doses can prevent this occurance, it seems a good tradeoff, at least to  us it does.  Our experience backs this up to date as does a couple other breeders as well.

And when pano occurs in the rear legs just exactly what are effects seen down the road opposed to just occurring in the front legs?  If negative effects have been seen, was a study done on how the dog was cared for during the espisode?  Were they crate rested?   Were they allowed to run and play which some do when they are in pain anyway?  CARE is so important when dealing with growing bones - just as important as if a dog who had orthopedic surgery.   I know of a breeder who's dog had patella surgery and two weeks later the dogs jumping in and out of cars....seems to me there WILL BE negative effects down the road on that one - imagine that kind of an impact on a leg that is not even healed yet?   The damage could be irreversible.  Same with pano - if the bones and tissue are inflamed and proper care is not given - damage can occur.

Now onto Vets LOL!   Vets just like MD's - there are some who strive for continuing education and then there are those who stay where they are comfortable - I am not trying to get into a "My Vet vs. Your Vet" - I simply stated what was told to me by my Vet.   Now if studies are what you want then do a "google search".   Personally, I have not had to use Albon as for we did not have Coccidia, and opted for the tried and true low dose of buffered aspirin with the pano which seem to do the trick.

As with Breeder's - Old wives tales can come into play as well - for example - having IV's during a whelp so the bitch receives continuous fluids - ridiculous?  Well if you have an unhealthy bitch maybe not - but then she either shouldn't have been bred to begin with or should be at the Vet's office.   I have a problem with folks self medicating because "several breeders" have said "this works".   I utilize the professionals when putting any type of medication into my dogs - just like I utilize my Doctor - they are the ones with the years of Med / Vet school and practice - not breeders (unless they are also a vet).

What worries me is the advice that is giving so freely regarding medications - I think if someone's dog has a problem such as pano - they should see their Vet and  1.  Diagnose it and 2.  Follow their Vets instructions.

Just my humble opinion.
dianne